Monday 7 July 2014

July Challenge - Day 8




Tuesday. You have made it through a whole week! Well done! 

Don’t worry if you missed out and are only joining us now, just jump right in!Remember to keep smiling today, give a hug and tell your children that you love them.

Today we are adding to our daily list, the smile, hug and love you list with:

Assignment for Day 8: Listen

We get so busy and multitasking is the new buzz word. Like any good wife, I can cook, wash the dishes, do the laundry while having a never ending chat on whatapp with my best friend, check my emails and facebook, all at the same time – in between all of this madness a little voice asks me if I can come and help quickly and I answer “Give me a minute, I’m just busy right now” or the worst one “I’ll be right there…” but 10 minutes later I completely forgot.

I’ve become a master at looking like I’m listening when our eldest starts with one of her stories “ohhh, yes, wow, really?” but actually, I didn’t hear a thing, I was typing a message, reading a blog – I heard her talking yes, but I couldn’t tell you what she just told me even if you paid me, I just made the right noises at the right time to make it seem like I was listening.

The other day I wanted to tell her something that I found important, something that happened which I wanted to share with her, she listened “Ohhh, yes, wow, really?” while she doesn’t even look up from what she’s busy with. That’s just rude, the voice in my head shouts, yes, just like the other day when she told you her story. 

Children quickly learn when we think some of the ideas they want to share just isn’t worth our time or attention, but every idea or thought they have is so important to them that they want to share it with us, keep up this trend and pretty soon our children won’t tell us anything anymore because they don’t know when we will find something they say important enough for our undivided attention, so to avoid being disappointed they’ll rather just keep their thoughts to themselves. It’s then that we are left wonder why our children don’t want to share anything with us anymore.

So today, listen when they talk, because what they want to tell us is so important to them. 


xxx

I love hearing from you, leave a message or send an email (info@bybelklub.co.za) and tell me how difficult or easy today's assignment was for you!

xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading all your comments!